Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Thinking

Massey 1100
(@massey-1100)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Any opinions on a 1 ton or there about dump truck? Going to start looking for one not sure if I want a 4x4 or just 2wd. Let's hear your thoughts on this. 

James o Brien
(@james-o-brien)
Estimable Member

A 4x4 would be handy if you had to go into a field at harvest time 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

Couldn't imagine not having 4 x4!

ReplyQuote
Massey 1100
(@massey-1100)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well I was thinking 4x4 most definitely be my first choice for the farm but wanting to maybe try to haul some gravel between runs and during the summer. Was wanting to keep weight down 

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

In my area, you could find a F550 for the same or less than a F350. not sure how PA works with the licenses, might be a commercial vehicle. I half heartedly have been watching for a cab and chassis 550 to put a 12' flat bed on. Would be great for hauling general stuff. 

ReplyQuote
Massey 1100
(@massey-1100)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking it would be commercial.  There are about 5-6 stone quarrys in about an hour or so of each other. Lots of tri-axles most of them haul a 23 ton load. Not many small trucks for guys only wanting a couple of tons getting in tight places. 

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

if its bought and titled as a farm truck, maybe the insurance wont be as bad as a normal commercial vehicle? The insurance on my small grain truck is only about $100 a year. 

ReplyQuote
Share: