Forum

goose neck trailer ...

goose neck trailer quesiton.  

RSS

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
07/04/2019 10:13 am  

if the truck is licensed for 15k and trailer is for 25k can a guy scale at 40k?

Ted Kahler
(@ted-kahler)
Estimable Member
07/04/2019 10:36 am  

the dot will go off of what your gvwr on the door pannel is on the tow vehicle if i remember correctly.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
07/04/2019 4:49 pm  

so if the sticker on the truck says 30k lbs,  truck is 10 and trailer is lets say 7k lbs that means I can haul a 13k lb load. lol   seems like every truck I see at the auction lot is way overweight?

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
07/04/2019 6:49 pm  

It's not just your sticker. If the tires, rims, brakes, leaf spring are not factory replacements, that sticker may not be valid. Your weakest link is what your maximum load is. You may have 7k axles and 6500 tires and 5500 brakes. Legally you're only allowed to haul 5500 then. And that's not to mention bridge laws. Just because you scale legal doesn't mean you can legally cross a bridge. This has to do with maximum axle loading for a specified spacing. It gets really complicated quickly. I'll take a look at my dot hand book tomorrow and see what the MN laws are.

ReplyQuote
Ted Kahler
(@ted-kahler)
Estimable Member
07/04/2019 10:00 pm  

yea jon most pickups are pulling trailers they can legally scale BUT are over the gvwr .....    now if you can convince the dot man that you have upgraded....

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
08/04/2019 5:56 am  

so then if we are licensed non commercial does a guy still need to pull into weigh stations?

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
08/04/2019 7:04 am  

Here is the information I have. Granted my day job is designing semi trailers, not goose necks, but the information still applies. 

Maximum Trailer Length 45'

I dont see any specific bridge laws, other than following the correct loading per axle spacing and road rating. individual bridges will have signs. 

For a 48" tandem axle trailer the maximum gross weight is 34,000 (weight of the trailer carried by the trailer and weight of the load carried by the trailer)

Keep in mind GCWR  (gross combination weight rating) is the total combined weight rating of the truck and trailer. single axle weight limitations will apply to the truck. on a 10 ton route its 20K per axle. There is a table attached for lesser road ratings. 

Your'e not going to exceed your state maximum axle loading with a goose neck, but its still very possible to exceed the trailer and or truck max loading. So it comes down to the rating of the trailer, truck, tires of both, brakes of both, and suspensions of both. 

I believe in Minnesota any vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 Lb and over you are required to scale.

weight 4
Weight 3
Weight 2
Weight 1
dims

This post was modified 7 months ago by Tyler52

ReplyQuote
Ted Kahler
(@ted-kahler)
Estimable Member
08/04/2019 10:07 pm  

gotta pull into scales if your over the posted weight UNLESS it your driving a motor home or camper... them are normally exempt

We can run 53 foot trailers here.... i think most van trailers are 53 foot too so not sure the 45 foot length deal

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
08/04/2019 10:52 pm  

45' is the legal Leng for a trailer. 53' is the legal length for a semi trailer as long as the distiance from the king pin to the center of the rearmost axle group does not exceeded 43'

Dot classifies a trailer and a semi trailers differently. 

I design for some guys that run in states that have 48' length caps. Guys just buy the over size permits for a 53'. Same with the weight rating. I have some customers scaling at 150k plus. Structurally the trailers are legal, but according to gcwr they're not. Those guys  just buy the over weight permit.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
09/04/2019 4:02 am  

So since I have a class A I don't really have to give a crap what my tabs are license for?!!

ReplyQuote
Share: