Notifications
Clear all

getting a varmit gun!  

RSS

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
10/04/2020 5:19 am  

I was looking for something to handle coyotes and wolves and anything else that might get close to the pasture. 

I like the 25-06 caliber and started out reading reviews of the kit guns, the $400 range that come with a scope.  not one of them seemed like a good value,  fit and finish wasn't good, or the scope had moisture in it, didn't shoot well, or the clip didn't fit well.

some how I saw a review of a Tikka T3 lite gun.  so I followed that rabbit whole and couldn't find any bad reviews of that gun.  so I called the uncle who is a gun smith and had him order me one.  he also had a high end scope on a promo sale so he will put a setup together for me!  kind of excited to fire a few rounds through it!  will get pictures when it gets here.

Rudy
 Rudy
(@rudy)
Trusted Member
10/04/2020 9:15 pm  

I bought a Remington .223 bolt action riffle (I forget the model number) with a scope a couple of years ago.  I think I paid no more then $350 for it at Scheels.

I have only shot it a handful of times, but seems to be a good gun.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
11/04/2020 9:52 am  

That would be a fun caliber! My nephew has like a little 7 mm which would be very similar? And at a hundred yards is very accurate!

I  talk to several different gun people and get two dozen different suggestions.

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
13/04/2020 7:03 am  

I have a .22-250, its one of my favorite guns. Great for ground hogs and Coyotes. We dont have wolves, but a well places shot with the right projectile would probably work. Its a hot fast moving round. Easily shoots 400 yards, can be pushed to more with the right setup. I run the cheapest hollow points I can find for groundhogs, for coyotes i run copper solids or hornady v-max plastic tips. I did a ton of research in the 22 family before i bought it, i looked at a 25-06 but decided i liked the .22-250 better. the .22-250 will knock the socks off a .223

I do have a .270 i use for long range coyotes. That is an excellent gun, has one of the best ballistic coefficients, but its more comparable to a 7mm mag. My cousins husband took an elk last year in Montana at 700 yards with his 7mm mag. I would try the same shot with my .270. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
21/04/2020 9:15 am  

Nice. This is my first rifle other then my 22. Kind of excited to have fun with the nephews this summer shooting it!

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
26/05/2020 6:50 am  

Got to fire a dozen shots. This thing rips that bullet!  Need to fire another 100 rounds through so i acn get good!  Later this summer good by coyotes!

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
28/05/2020 8:21 am  

the nice this is its low recoil. shoot all day and no sore shoulder!

ReplyQuote
Share: