Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Feeling defeated?

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Man this year is just not letting up. I have nothing to complain about compared to Ted and others. Every day its its something. 

How are you guys holding up?

SoINFarm
(@soinfarm)
Eminent Member

I didn’t get planted stayed wet. Couldn’t mold board some acres because their comming from CRP and it had to many root balls and was to wet to no till it...

ReplyQuote
TwinStatesAg
(@twinstatesag)

Posted by: @maplegrovefarms

Man this year is just not letting up. I have nothing to complain about compared to Ted and others. Every day its its something. 

How are you guys holding up?

The last few years haven't been good for a lot of my clients.  Not sure how they get out of the bed in the morning.

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

Defeated isn't even the word for it right now. About 1/3 of my no-till beans never grew. just came to realize today that my brother and I had a miss communication which left another 1/3 of my beans dead. Liberty beans sprayed with Roundup. I'm down to 1/3 of my planted bean acres left. Can next year be here yet? 

ReplyQuote
SoINFarm
(@soinfarm)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @tyler52

Defeated isn't even the word for it right now. About 1/3 of my no-till beans never grew. just came to realize today that my brother and I had a miss communication which left another 1/3 of my beans dead. Liberty beans sprayed with Roundup. I'm down to 1/3 of my planted bean acres left. Can next year be here yet? 

It does no good to be mad but man that’s a thought pill to swallow. I’m glad I’m in a no plant decision compared to that. I remember reading on AgTalk back in probably 2010 that we were headed for hard times and boy were they right.. I just hope it lets up. Corn fell the limit and beans are headed down to..

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Good year to have an off farm job.

Tyler did you find out what happened to the beans ? I have 1 field that is shit. Was great beans last year. Next year oats,rye, spring wheat, hay , 1 corn field and 1 bean field.

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

Whats the most frustrating isn't the loss of the beans, its the loss of progress. I was planning on putting up another building next summer. I wanted to build it on the old bank barn foundation. I need a building to put hay in and the home place would look good with a bank barn again. I have also been seriously looking for a 6 ton fertilizer spreader and kinda looking for a 12 row planter. Now all that will be put on hold.

Corn IMM went from 4.44 a week ago to 3.89 current. new crop is sitting at 3.58. looks like ill be selling some more deer corn this year. It beats elevator price. 

Yea, right now im glad the wife an i both have separate paychecks coming in. well get by fine, its just screwing up my plans. We have the rule that the farm pays for the farm and we pay for us. Are you still considering going back to work Jon?

Im thinking it was just a combination of timing, we had a crap ton of rain right after they were planted and severe periodic rain through the spring. The two fields that we killed were by far my best no-tilled beans. they were planted about a month after my first beans, right when the weather went back to "normal" behavior. So i do have faith in no-tilling beans next year.

The one field that was killed is right in the front yard of the farm, talk about embarrassing. Its had a rough year. Wheat drowned out there, sunflowers didn't grow there, and now beans are dead there. Im going to take the opportunity to tile a wet spot where nothing ever grows. and im going to plant a nice mixed hay in there. I can make more off selling small squares than i can corn or beans, it will be the fastest way to re-coop my loss. Ill have more wheat and hay out this next year than i have in a long time. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

yeah we had a lot of germination issues with the weather. conventional guys were running around with rotary hoes trying to help beans out of ground.  with the weather we have this year even good looking fields aren't normal good looking.  have to lower that curve a lot.

imagine the price on beans if we had a great year across the nation.  and then there would be no mfp money either. 

ReplyQuote
Massey 1100
(@massey-1100)
Estimable Member

Man Tyler that bites anytime let alone a year like this. My biggest challenge has been getting enough dry days in a row for making hay.  Might just have to wrap some more. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

%d bloggers like this: