Forum

Strip till into liv...

Strip till into live alfalfa and or clover  

RSS

Ceemorebutss
(@ceemorebutss)
07/08/2018 8:01 am  

was wondering if strip till into living alfalfa and or clover would be good? Thinking taking first cutting then strip till corn into living alfalfa, not burn it down like everyone says to do.

any ideas??

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
07/08/2018 12:21 pm  

I want to try this as well.  Stay tuned for a video on Thursday.  Going to U of M for this exact reason.

experience with alfalfa is it is a high water usage plant.  if  your in drought prone soils there might be a risk.  There was also a discussion we had in ND about how much N credits would be available to the corn since the hay is regrowing.  lots of shoulder shrugs since we are in a very new realm of agriculture. We came to an assumption that is there were going to be any N credits it would be late summer and that is good. 

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
08/08/2018 7:24 am  

Are we talking about a new seeding or striping into a existing 3 year old stand?

If we are talking about an existing stand, even a year old, what about all of the green material and root mass? I don't think row cleaners will do anything for sod. And I would think a shank machine will throw up big chinks of sod. The berming discs would then in turn make a really clumpy uneven seedbed. 

I picked up a small field that has been hay for the last 20 years. I am torn between burning it down then no-tilling corn, or trying to strip till it. Id like to strip it to get the fertilizer in the ground. The more I think about it the more I think a shank is going to make a mess. Multiple coulters may be the only way to manage heavy sod, but that eliminates getting the fertilizer 7-8" deep. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
08/08/2018 12:42 pm  

good points Tyler.  My steip shank is a 2" wide chisel plow shank with spike point.  at 8" deep in sod it rolled up some chunks.  let it dry as much as possible and use row cleaners on planter and it worked ok.  not perfect but not terrible.

for corn no tilling into sod or dead alfalfa works good here.  let row cleaners scratch the surface and add some down pressure.

nice thing behind alfalfa is your P,K and lime should be in shape so may not worry about P,K first year?

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
11/08/2018 10:35 am  

the guys at the U of M tried it and the hay died out.  only lasted a couple years.

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
17/08/2018 12:48 pm  

So what is your game plan with your new alfalfa seeding? Still planning on stripping corn into it?

I think I am going to smoke that "hay" its more weeds than anything and the ill have to decide weather to no-till corn or strip till. I do think i will needs some P and K. I guess ill have to put some on 2x2 with the planter if i dont strip and throw the rest out on top of the ground?

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
17/08/2018 12:57 pm  

there are three 30 acre fields in front of it. if i make each one a pasture for a year that will mean year 4 that the hay field will be pasture.  that will be nice.

I am going to start seeding down kura clover.

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
17/08/2018 2:23 pm  

Are you worried about grazing beef cattle on straight alfalfa? 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
26/01/2019 10:48 am  

yes. on pure alfalfa I would not do it.  hard to get enough straw into them to slow the nutrients down in the rumen.

ReplyQuote
TwinStatesAg
(@twinstatesag)
30/01/2019 8:17 am  

We have guys plant into sod after first cutting.  Use a zone builder and follow with a planter that has a rawson zone till cart.  Works good except in a drought year.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
30/01/2019 1:46 pm  

our ground will do that with old hay. turns the soil  dry and hard.  my goal with it is to only get a couple years on the alfalfa and then be back to other crops.

ReplyQuote
Share: