glyphosate and soil health.

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

has anyone looked at any studies about how it works in the soil, roots and life around the roots?  anyone get away from it and noticed anything different?

James o Brien
(@james-o-brien)
Estimable Member

It's going to be banned here in a few years so I'll have to do different experiments with reseeding such as planting oats with grass or some fast growing mix I can graze to out compete weeds

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

there is a lot of studies on it and that it effects soil life.  just wondering if anyone seen this first hand?  talking to organic guys and other soil health people they claim that by getting rid of most chemicals they have seen the soil get better.

for me I can use select or volunteer to kill grass in alfalfa.  

nice thing about a thick cover mix for hay is not much weeds are going to get started in that! especially if cutting it for hay!!

ReplyQuote
James o Brien
(@james-o-brien)
Estimable Member

Roundup does a fantastic job but I don't like the way people use it by killing off grass crops them making silage out of the dying grass I just don't see how safe that is I'd love to go organic but my conversion costs would be huge

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

Wonder how biased some of the anti and pro studies are?

Would like to be mostly organic without needing to be "organic".

Customers dont care if we have a certificate or not.

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

I'm looking to get away from it and all chemicals.  I'm just tired of paying for it. 

There is a growing group of doctors and scientists that are putting together a lot of evidence on how harmful it is.   Most of its harm comes from it being an antibiotic (most farmers dont know it holds 2 patents as an antibiotic) and it's water soluble. 

Science is for sale, so what if it is really bad for us?  Its just taken ~40 yrs to figure it out. 

I guess the thing to remember is that government always is looking out for us and wants to take care of us.  No decisions are ever made under the influence of big money.  Sleep easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybq2R5f4V00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3aOQ0N74PI

Zach Bush has a bunch of videos on the issue.  Dr Allen Williams has a couple too.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

good post!  there was some talk of how chemicals harm soil life at the Wi. show.   gly. they said comes out the roots and momentarily kills some life around the root zone.

have had local agronomists say that it ties up some micro nutrients in plants. 

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

The world was around for a few years before we decided we needed to spray or till.  Seems if we leave nature alone it is pre awesome how it solves a lot of problems for us.

There's been studies done that shows that glyphosate kills ~60% of the earthworms in the soil.

The original monsanto papers '76 or '77 showed that mice exposed were neurologically really f'ed up.

Dr Bush explains a lot pre well, the one thing I can't quite grip tho is it's in all water and rainwater.  It wouldn't surprise me but in what form?  If its really in like said then whenever people water their lawns/gardens or it rains it would kill everything.  I havn't seen or ever heard of that yet so that's a head scratcher for me.  I plan to ask him if the opportunity ever exists.

ReplyQuote
Share:

%d bloggers like this: