Forum

Dr. Franzen speaks ...

[Sticky] Dr. Franzen speaks about soil erosion.  

RSS

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
04/11/2018 8:05 am  

James o Brien
(@james-o-brien)
Estimable Member
04/11/2018 2:42 pm  

That's a staggering amount of phosphorus and nitrogen lost we have so much technology but yet we are so dumb the native Americans had no science or technology but they knew how valuable it was to protect the soil

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
04/11/2018 4:08 pm  

I like doing the farm tours in ND. you have a lot of farmers that want to do whats right.  In Mn. its a different story. lots of guys are starting to get it but its slow.

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member
05/11/2018 2:29 pm  

The loss is mind boggling.  Needs to be more focus on it everywhere since ND isn't an island.  I can walk the fence between our neighbors and there are spots that up to 3' have washed into the creek.  Last week one neighbor was out with a box scaper pulling dirt back uphill, after he disk/chiseled it, funny thing is he thinks itll stay there with all the rains.  Spots he wasnt sure he packed the valley with his 4wheeler...insanity.  

Buddy of mine sells seed corn, his boss farms in southern IL next to river.  His only inputs are seed and chem.  Raises 250-300 bu corn every year.  River brings him new dirt every year so no need to buy fert until farmers up river change their ways. 

How much dirt do guys give away every year stuck to beets/potatos/carrots etc?

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
05/11/2018 6:02 pm  

we can learn and grow and change on our own and do it because we want to succeed. or we can do it after another gov. regulation makes us do it.

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member
05/11/2018 9:05 pm  

Gov agenda will keep guys on monocultures and tillage.  Banks in bed with gov.  Farmers would rather be stuck on gov tit rather than break from the herd and become succesful without their interference.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
06/11/2018 4:41 am  

Except for the Minnesota Democrats. Buffer law, nitrogen law, neonicticide law.  Won't be long and they will have regulating application of phosphorus and potassium, how much nitrogen you can apply.

I hope they don't I hope everything stays the same and everyone in my neighborhood just keeps pulling out the tillage equipment cuz it lets me just rent up more land!

ReplyQuote
James o Brien
(@james-o-brien)
Estimable Member
06/11/2018 6:12 am  

We have nitrogen and phosphorus regulations

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member
06/11/2018 6:36 pm  

They will regulate N & P (already do here if you have a CAFO) but it won't matter if guys continue with tillage and corn bean oscillation.  Loss with continue but pry a slower rate beings less applied. 

What's kinda disappointing with most loss studies is they usually only track N,P &K.   What about all the micros we are losing?  Nobody seems to care about them since we can buy some and apply it with equipment (then complain about cost).  

Sulfur is something we are terribly short on, been losing it for too long and just this last year I wanted to put some focus on it.  So I asked my agronomist and he said unnecessary but if you really want throw 8 lbs on.  Hmm ok...we are done, guess I'll figure it out on my own haha.  Seen a researcher from Purdue (iirc) side dressed 15-25 lbs and is seeing ~20 bushel response.

I know I got a lousy attitude towards guys tilling.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
09/11/2018 6:02 am  

The guys using dry AMS for there sulfur are also using it to replace some of their urea. They're finding that nitrogen in the sulfur sticks in their ground a little bit better. Some of the guys on the lighter ground are also finding that using a lot more sulfur that recommended is showing a yield response.

Am I corn if I banned sulfur in the strip I have to use 60 lb minimum of AMS. If I broadcast I have to use 120 lb otherwise the corn will show striping

ReplyQuote
Share: