(@farmerjack)
09/08/2018 8:47 pm  

What is Poor man RTK . How does it work

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
10/08/2018 4:47 am  

the level of it is up to you.  lol 

for me its using Terra star vs WAAS for satellites.  it took me from 28" differential to a 2-3".  meaning at any point from center line i am within 2-3 inches or for safety sakes lets say under 6" vs a 30".   only cost $500 bucks for the subscription  vs spending another $5 grand to be 1" minus.

have a couple older neighbors that went from foam on there sprayer to an basic light bar setup and to them that is there poor mans RTK.  

Are you looking to get into something precision?

ReplyQuote
farmerjack
(@farmerjack)
10/08/2018 3:03 pm  

Want to get into some precision farming. Looks like Northern Ohio will be mandated to bury (P) applications soon because of algae blooms in Lake Erie. Thinking maybe strip tillage. already have trimble 250 light bars in tractors but no auto-steer. Hard for small farmer to afford all the nice stuff. LOL

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
10/08/2018 7:13 pm  

yes, very hard to afford.  if you want cheap steering but dont need to control any products ag leader has a product called compass.  it was priced pretty cheap.  last time i looked it was around 1900 for monitor and receiver.   the steering is where it gets pricey. them systems can run several grand.

if you look for a used ag leader edge it can do some product application, for not much more money somewhere in the 1500-2500  range you can get a used versa that can do a lot of stuff, steering mapping, rate control of several liquid or dry products, swath control.  I think the only thing it cant do is advanced seed monitoring.  

used integra would be a lot more money. but they are powerful.   

the reason i mention ag leader is I have had awesome luck with them and they have a great support program even on the older stuff.  I am sure you could find a good dealer in your area.  other wise dont be scared to talk to the guys at L&D ag out of southern Mn.   they ship and service around the country.  

there are a couple websites that sell used agleader products.  you can get used harness's and modules.

you use the modules to run stuff.  for running my strip till i got a strip till module.  for running the sprayer or liquid on the planter there is a liquid rate module....very customizable products and you can build off it.

they do have a finance program.

the hard part about precision is that once you start its never ending.  lol.  2 grand for a monitor, another grand for a globe, several hundred for harness's, 800-1200 for modules and more harness's.

honestly for getting into a strip till machine on small acres i would call up yetter and get a marker setup.  save a lot of money.  P can be applied without needing to be overly accurate.  goal is 100 lbs who cares if you end up at 80 or 120.  if its knifed in hard for it to move.

This post was modified 1 year ago by maplegrovefarms

ReplyQuote
Massey 1100
(@massey-1100)
Estimable Member
17/08/2018 10:06 am  

Couldn't you add ez steer to your setup at least that's what I was told by a guy at ag day this week. He repairs monitors and stuff. I talked to him about it and he said he used to run that setup 

ReplyQuote
farmerjack
(@farmerjack)
17/08/2018 9:29 pm  

thanks for reply. I think they want 2500.00 for the steering module and motor. Then rtk another 650-1000

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
18/08/2018 9:25 am  

then you have to have a receiver that can do RTK.  then you have to buy the subscription to the RTK.  and depending on product there might be an unlock for the RTK.  putting a monitor and steering motor in the cab is the cheap and easy part.

for strip till the Terra star works very well for me. even a lot better if your strip bar and planter were the same size.  and its like $800 for the year or $500 for spring and summer.

This is why i lean to the ag leader side. a used versa can do your guidance but also mapping and rate control and swath control if unlocked for the strip till. but then you can take the monitor to the sprayer to control the sprayer, once setup for sprayer you can have it control the liquid on the planter,  use it for guidance on a broadcaster.

if you went with a used integra you can run many products at once.  it has enough power that it can be your planter advanced seed monitor, run hydraulic seed drive, swath control, steering, guidance, hybrid mapping, split planter ability. so the right and left side can plant different hybrids or seeds and it will operate them if the planter is physically able,  liquid pop up and mapping, and you could tow your sprayer behind and it could operate that as well.!  

This post was modified 1 year ago by maplegrovefarms

ReplyQuote
farmerjack
(@farmerjack)
18/08/2018 2:20 pm  

Was wondering if anybody had used AgOpenGPS operating system and any thoughts

ReplyQuote
RabenhorstFarms
(@rabenhorst)
10/02/2019 4:24 pm  

On our farm we have used Outback for a number of years and we have been disgusted with it. We bought it from a local dealer and he did what he could for us but once it got over his head and we had to depend on Outback it was a terrible experience! When you spend the money on an RTK system and it can’t do WASS on a good day it is a real disappointment. We have since been switching to AgLeader over the last 2 years buying it threw Butler Cat and we have been extremely happy with not only the product but the service as well. We will be going into 2019 with AgLeader running all of our precision equipment except our John Deere combine.  We did have AgLeader on our last combine and loved it. We will be running AgLeader for planting, spraying and  Y-dropping with AgLeader controlling all products and steering. We will be using a cellular RTK subscription and will let everyone know how the year goes. We are running integrated steering with a 1200 InCommand monitor.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
11/02/2019 4:13 am  

Give yourself the whole year on that 1200. So you get used to it and learn all of its features and benefits through each implement. You're going to love it! This will be my 7th year with my Integra and it just gets better every year.

ReplyQuote
Share: