Forum

No-till and dandeli...

No-till and dandelions  

RSS

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
13/07/2019 7:19 am  

Have any of you guys no tilled Corn or beans or any crop and had dandelions already there or come up right after planting and then get thick and big. So you go burn them down and the crop never recovered.

Had a neighbor who was lecturing me about how no-till doesn't work and then last year no tilled everything. Problem is he did a bad job on weed control and now this spring them feels were the most pretty yellow and a thick crop of dandelions. And he went in and planted into that big thick crop. I don't think the corn will even make an ear? I think you'd have to row crop cultivate a bunch of urea in nothing

They have became major spring problem but I hope that the Rye will take care of it. Otherwise a pre-emergent burn down with a full rate or a little extra Roundup make sure that they're dead before planting.

Ted Kahler
(@ted-kahler)
Estimable Member
13/07/2019 11:38 pm  

Band ferterlizer.... BAND fertilizer i believe is VERY useful in no till especially when starting out

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
15/07/2019 9:55 am  

I no-tilled all of my corn into thick green weeds this spring. But i followed the planter directly with the sprayer and made sure i had a good kill. I also dont have a crazy amount of dandelions in the fields, only my yard. The only corn that is struggling is the stuff i no-tilled into sod. I blame most of that on running out of starter. instead of getting 2x2 it got broadcast only. 

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member
17/07/2019 11:39 am  

We have been fighting them pre badly.   No chemical will solve the problem and we have tried.  The 'lions laugh at anything you throw at them.

Dandelions are a symptom of low calcium.  Told agronomist that, he thought I was crazy.  Did standard in depth soil test and it showed that we had plenty of calcium but still the problem persisted. 

Started Haney testing and found that there's lots of calcium but the sulfur was very low which lowered the plant available calcium.  We applied higher sulfur and some calcium this spring and dandelions are less problematic this year than previous 3.

Everyone should own "when weeds talk" by Maccaron(sp).  Standard soil tests are a waste of money.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
17/07/2019 12:07 pm  

Funny you say that. Had an old agronomist that was always interested in what weeds we have. 

I would believe low calcium even though we just put on some

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member
17/07/2019 6:41 pm  

You can apply calcium all day but if it's not plant available it won't matter.  You can overdo it and cause problems too.

ReplyQuote
Share: