Convince Me To No Till This  

RSS

SoINFarm
(@soinfarm)
Eminent Member
19/02/2019 7:06 pm  

4C3384AE 736C 445B 83DF 89F7F33755BB
CB0C9F50 A404 474A 811F CAF01BEEF9F5

Ok I don’t need to be convinced  to do it. I’m just scared to. I picked up this ground that has not been farmed for several years. It has been bush hogged off for a long time. Some of it has grown taller in because it didn’t get mowed this year. I have about 15 acres in two fields one tall grass one short. What I am afraid of is seed either not getting good soil contact or poor or no emergence do to the mat of grass. It also lays very wet on the tall grass portion. I tried to take some pictures. I was originally going to work everything this year and then no till next year but several people local are telling me to no till. 

My first crop on it will be soybeans. I have my own sprayer. And I was thinking of spraying 24D and roundup as a burn down then planting behind it after a few days. Is this a bad idea? Does anyone have suggestions?

SoINFarm
(@soinfarm)
Eminent Member
19/02/2019 7:09 pm  

I forgot to add that I have the option of a Marliss Grain drill on a NoTill caddy. 4 row wide planter (double planting or planting twice on an angle)

ReplyQuote
LVF
 LVF
(@larson-valley-farm)
Estimable Member
19/02/2019 7:55 pm  

Soybeans 1st year, in sod, no problem! Spray it early and use that no-till drill, my first crop of beans was in a field that looked just like that, I sprayed it then waited 2 weeks (mostly due to weather),,,,, Awesome beans that year. I can't say anything about a corn planter, I've never planted beans with anything other than a drill. If the ground is hard, it will soften fast as that grass dies and starts to decay 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
20/02/2019 6:19 am  

I haven't had good luck with beans into old sod. I have no logical reason I have no scientific data all I know is 2 good growing years in a row the beans on old sod had a real hard time.

Good emergence good color but very delayed or slow growth

ReplyQuote
SoINFarm
(@soinfarm)
Eminent Member
20/02/2019 6:57 am  

All I have to work it with is a JD BW disk 12’ and a AC 1200 digger 12’. Everybody tells me the disk isn’t heavy enough to cut  and the field cultivator will plug up. I don’t know if this is true. I’m not sure what the best choice to make here is.

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
20/02/2019 7:07 am  

Are you set on beans? Why not no-till corn?

ReplyQuote
SoINFarm
(@soinfarm)
Eminent Member
20/02/2019 8:22 am  
Posted by: Tyler52

Are you set on beans? Why not no-till corn?

Mostly because of cost. I can afford to put out beans and not borrow any money. Second I have no way to plant them unless I work it. My planter has rubber openers. 

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member
21/02/2019 12:15 am  
Posted by: maplegrovefarms

I haven't had good luck with beans into old sod. I have no logical reason I have no scientific data all I know is 2 good growing years in a row the beans on old sod had a real hard time.

Good emergence good color but very delayed or slow growth

But didn't they yield just as well? 

Whatever you use just be sure the trench is closed and seed covered well.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
21/02/2019 7:28 am  

this year they did the same. if we would have had a couple challenging weather events I bet we would have seen them struggle because they spent most of the season way behind on growth? doing pod counts if we wouldn't have had the drought the other bean fields would have left it way behind.

For sure don't till it.  the only way to till sod is with a moldboard plow.

lots of guys have great luck with beans into sod.  ND guys pulling crp ground out use corn because they have had the same bad luck I have had.

with corn you have the chance to toss some more N at it if it needs it. with beans its hard to get a crop response from feeding it.

ReplyQuote
Share: