maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member
17/02/2019 5:12 pm  

It helps a little I guess.   I absolutely hate crop ins.   Dad/myself been paying it for 50 yrs and it's never payed. 

Sat in an insurance meeting this week.  The usda put higher values on crops so farmers can borrow more or make it easier to get operating note.  Their 8 year outlook shows prices going down (barring any event that affects prices) so why would they make it easier to get $?   Gov is actively trying to eliminate the small guys and make the big bigger. What a joke.

ReplyQuote
LVF
 LVF
(@larson-valley-farm)
Estimable Member
17/02/2019 7:08 pm  

I agree with you on that Roon, they bend over backwards for a big operator but wont help the small guy at all. I'm just glad that I am in a position that I don't need the bank to operate year to year. I do borrow for large purchases like tractors, but I refuse to borrow money for inputs. Last I heard local banks are around 7% interest now

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member
17/02/2019 8:57 pm  

%7 for a $200+ bag of corn, there's a massive blood letting coming if we have great yields again.  I admit I'm more pessimistic lately than I've ever been in my life. 

That's great you are free of the bank!   We got in deep and made changes (conv corn, reduce inputs etc) but thats still not enough.  If we didn't have a side shop we'd be out completely.

This year %90 of our acres will be planted to something we can keep the seed and replant.  From this year forward we are only going to grow what people actually want and not play the game with coops and elevators anymore. 

After this year I hope to never buy ins again too.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
17/02/2019 10:08 pm  

makes you wonder.  since we do a crop note we have to have insurance.  but yeah cant wait to be able to not need the bank for inputs.  

yep out of 5 years get a small claim. claim usually not big enough to pay the premiums.   

wish the govt. would stop all subsidies and payments made to farmers.  even insurance.  I know I sound anti farm but why keep helping the big guys.

this is a great step although small along with other things out there to help a small guy.  only way to beat the system is to stop playing the game. if I can figure out this green covers thing to stop needing so much chemicals that will be a big step.  

ReplyQuote
Share: