Fooked 4020

Fooked 4020  

RSS

Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member
04/07/2019 11:09 am  

So last night grinding feed for the hogs the ol 4020 poo'd the bed.

Grinding along tractor jus wound down and died....like it ran out of fuel.  Checked all fluids...all good.  Temp gauge didn't say it was hot.  Motor is stuck, no squeal, no knock, nothing.

So gotta tear it down...anything I should do to pull a bit more power from it or add to it's dependability?  It's currently got a m & w turbo.

Push it into a hole and buy a red one?

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
05/07/2019 6:30 am  

Lol. Micro blue coating would add lots of life and power. Dont know if cost makes it real? Lol

Sounds like a main or two gave up?  Rods, crank, block and head get sent to machine shop for reconditioning. 

Dont think it's a weak point, more of something worse out point.

Double check gear on camshaft that it's good to go another lifetime. Rebuild oil pump and verify pressure.

M&W kits usually had a bigger pan.  Change oil a little more often? Watch egt's? 

Find a 4430 or 4320? 

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member
05/07/2019 9:07 am  

We've rebuilt a couple in the past but never had one jus up and stuck.   It goes against my nature to jus rebuild and leave it.  140 hp would be nice haha   Pry wouldn't hold together then.  

Only thing I use it for is planter/innerseeder and grinder/mixer.

ReplyQuote
Massey 1100
(@massey-1100)
Estimable Member
06/07/2019 8:54 am  

Sorry to hear that it died.  I like the one option buy red. Lol

Guessing unless crank or somehow the block is messed up rebuild it.  Bigger lines and injectors and pump. Lol have to see what the budget allows for. 

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
08/07/2019 6:36 am  

It will take a little bit of work, but a 466 will be a big boost in power. I remember hearing a long time ago most of what bolts on a 404 will bolt on a 466 block. how true that is, I dont know. Maybe Jon can weigh in on that. 

ReplyQuote
Share: