Poor mans Y drop

Notifications
Clear all

Poor mans Y drop

Page 1 / 2

Tech man
(@tech-man)
Topic starter  

Looking to try some homemade Y drops next year on our pull type sprayer. Anybody have some pictures of what they built for Y drops? We have been using a pull type spreader to though on our urea/ams/esn mix for several years. I would like to try a trial putting on 28% next year. What can you use to replace the sulfur in the ams? We always need sulfur. Can a guy put down 41 gallons/ac safely?  We put down 25 units with the planter dry and need another 125 to finish the season. We would like to do it in one pass with the sprayer. Our soil does not work to put down fall anhydrous.

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

amthio will replace your ams.  you can put down as much N as you want.  but in My soil going from 400 lbs urea broadcast i replaced it with the equivalent of 300 lbs of urea with 28% (15.5 gallons of 28% replaces 100 lbs of urea) banded next to the corn. second pass I treated the 28% with instigate and factor.  one of them keeps the N from leaching down and the other keeps it from volatilizing up.   not bragging but I have some good looking corn this year.  

I dont know if you would want to put that much down in 1 pass.  biggest reason is corn doesnt  need it all at once. your better off money wise to do atleast 2 passes.  20 gallons of 28% with 5 gallons of amthio per pass.   also at 50 gallons an acre of product you are not getting very far between fill ups and unless you have a monster pump and small boom you are going 2 mph.  

I am not finding my pictures?  but here is a video of me starting with regular drop hoses.  worked awesome.  later on i simply put some duct tape and made an X out of the hoses.  you can get away with what ever your imagination lets you come up with.  on v4 and bigger corn you are going to want a Y drop setup.  I have seen guys use a simple pvc plumbing to guide the hoses to the Y shape.  

after using it this year and seeing the results in my corn you would have to pay me to go away from it.  the nice thing compared to urea is that if you get some delays it doesnt cake inside the spreader, you can buy it in winter and if you have storage take advantage of big discounts by taking a truck load out of season.  close to 100$ a ton savings!  if you have extra you can simply sit on it till next year.  easy to tend the sprayer, easy to get into the field.  

there is a company out of south dakota that makes cheaper ones.  other wise the guys at L&D ag can help get you orifices, hoses and maybe even a poor mans Y setup?

ReplyQuote
Tech man
(@tech-man)
Topic starter  

60’ boom and 1000 gal tank. Any idea how much your cost per unit of N is?

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

for us the cost of an N credit on 28% was about $0.55 (roughly $300per ton)

compared to the cost of urea at about $0.38.

now for that $0.20 cents I got to apply it myself at 9$ per acre savings, 

i got to apply it as i needed it and used swath control.  with the sprayer if on the second pass you see a bad spot you can double back and hit just that spot.  or up the rate as you go through that spot. you can manually variable rate as the crop needs it.  I also got to keep my left over vs running it out just to get rid of it. and banding it vs broad casting it i can use less to grow the same corn. also tending the sprayer is with a simple tank trailer and pump.  dont need to use the auger wagon and second tractor or waiting for the coop.  the coop just keeps the tanks in the yard full and i take out of them.

I can blend 28% and other products myself on the farm and store them on the farm. i cant do that with urea, would have to spend big bucks on some type of storage and then storage is still for a short time.  

since i can store on farm i could be getting 28% this winter for about the same price as urea.

after using broadcast urea all my life and then a couple years of side dressing banded  urea you couldnt get me to go back after using 28% in the sprayer.

ReplyQuote
Oklahoma.Applicator
(@ok-applicator)

Is your sprayer on 15" or 20" spacing? If it's 15 its a super easy setup because every other nozzle is down a row, 20" spacing is tougher, it's do able but tougher. My case ih patriot is on 20's and if you just skip every other nozzle you run into the problem of every other drop hose tries to run right on top of the plants. A guy in Missouri named Gavin Spoor made a homemade y-drop for their Hagie machine, the video is on YouTube if you search (Gavin Spoor Y-drop.) Basically in my opinion without some fabricating its hard to 100% replicate a y-drop, closest thing would be dragging hoses between the rows which obviously doesn't place it as close to the base of the plant as the y-drop. If i can figure out how to post pics on here i can show you my setup on my machine. Or I may make a video and post it to YouTube and just share the link. I can explain the setup better on video rather than picture 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Oklahoma.Applicator

ReplyQuote
Tech man
(@tech-man)
Topic starter  
That would be awesome. 20” spacing does make it difficult for just a test. I’m thinking of making some kind of bracket that would bolt to the boom on 30s” then have a drop hose down from there. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

I am on 20".  you had to get a pattern down. 2 drop hoses then skip a nozzle then 2 drop hoses and skip a nozzle.  20" worked great for little corn to use the drop hose with no Y.  it had the hose 5" off to the side and worked good.

before you buy hose, nozzle bodies and orifices you need to decide how you want it.  this winter or next spring i want to make a pvc or some type of Y drop.   the value is to great to not use it.  in big corn you have to use it.

ReplyQuote
Oklahoma.Applicator
(@ok-applicator)

Yup that's what I started doing on my machine with 20 inch spacing, 2 drops, skip one, then 2 more. Works pretty good but like you said the bigger the plant the tougher it is to do.

ReplyQuote
Ted Kahler
(@ted-kahler)
Estimable Member

When corn is is around knee high i have just used 3 way streamer tips and have had great result with that.  It will burn the corn some but it will come out of it.  Actually almost could say it burns less than dry

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

Posted by: Ted Kahler

When corn is is around knee high i have just used 3 way streamer tips and have had great result with that.  It will burn the corn some but it will come out of it.  Actually almost could say it burns less than dry

do you have a picture of that setup?  

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

I am gathering ideas how i am going to build mine. I think i am going to run a separate small wet line down my booms with a custom nozzle spacing using the cheap old style single nozzle bodies.  I am planning on dropping two lines between a set of 30" rows, with one pointing left and one pointing right. I am thinking of using pex tubing for the drops. its a semi flexible tube, so i am planning on using their snap on 90 elbow to get the tube over close to the row. (see pic below) I will then attach a flexible rubber hose on the end of the semi ridged pex that will drag on the ground. 

We used to use streamer tips on drop nozzles a long time ago. but when i upgraded sprayers we never made a new set. 

pex

ReplyQuote
Ted Kahler
(@ted-kahler)
Estimable Member

Posted by: maplegrovefarms
Posted by: Ted Kahler

do you have a picture of that setup?  

just have to google tee jet streamer tips.   they just replace the normal sprayer tips on my sprayer. use them to ferterlize corn oats sorghum sudan pasture...

ReplyQuote
Rmnfarms
(@rmnfarms)
Eminent Member

Might be a side topic but do you have any roi or yield numbers on doing the side dress pass and starter in the planter? Just asking because we have never done either.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

for us using liquid pop up vs not using it so far has been a no brainer. this year I will do some testing on it but more times then not we don't need a weigh wagon because you can physically see the difference in corn.

side dress vs all up front we win 10 out of 10 times by side dressing or top dressing vs all up front.

side dressing with the sprayer vs broadcast we will start doing testing at reduced rates to see if the banding can save product.  at same amount of product the banding showed a huge improvement in quality of stand.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

for us using liquid pop up vs not using it so far has been a no brainer. this year I will do some testing on it but more times then not we don't need a weigh wagon because you can physically see the difference in corn.

side dress vs all up front we win 10 out of 10 times by side dressing or top dressing vs all up front.

side dressing with the sprayer vs broadcast we will start doing testing at reduced rates to see if the banding can save product.  at same amount of product the banding showed a huge improvement in quality of stand.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

%d bloggers like this: