mcleanfarms
(@mcleanfarms)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

looking at trying to find a small two row planter and drill 

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

What are you trying to plant and what tractor are you working with?

ReplyQuote
mcleanfarms
(@mcleanfarms)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

corn and or a mix of grass John Deere B  my dads allis Chalmers d15 d14 160

This post was modified 3 years ago by mcleanfarms

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

should be able to find an old grain drill and planter that was meant to work with them tractors.  I would worry about condition more then brand

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

7000 deere 4 row are fairly common.  Cheap ones will be wide rowed.  Ive seen the older deere press drills sell for $200-500, gotta be tilling for them tho.

The old cyclo 400's are pert near given away. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Roon

ReplyQuote
mcleanfarms
(@mcleanfarms)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Roon the tractors I will use couldn't handle a jd7000 or a cyco  400  and the size im starting with I really don't need a 4 row planter

This post was modified 3 years ago by mcleanfarms

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

if you could afford a 7000 I would do it and just cut it down. 

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

Every year we pull a 4 row 7000 with the John Deere 530 on a few acres. It handles it just fine in tilled or no-till. Its a nostalgia thing for us, but it gets the job done no problem. 

ReplyQuote
mcleanfarms
(@mcleanfarms)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

do any of you think I could convert a international fast hitch grain drill to a trailered or 3 point

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

how good are your fabrication skills? anything is possible. 

ReplyQuote
LVF
 LVF
(@larson-valley-farm)
Estimable Member

The right time of the year you can easily find 8 foot grain drills for sale on craigslist cheap. And I agree with Jon, get a 7000 4 row. I don't think I would cut it down for 2 row, I would just take the outside 2 rows off so at a later date you can easily put them back on. I have a New Idea/Kinze/Deere (LOL) 4 row no-till planter and I pulled it with a IH 504 I had about 10 years ago, it handled it fine, a little light in big hills maybe but it got it done and didn't over work the little tractor. And depending on your soil (health) you can no-till with a old double disk grain drill, you just need to adjust your down pressure accordingly (I did it for a few year with a Model B Vanbrunt before I bought my no-till drill thinking it would be better).   I am actually looking for a old 10-12 foot end wheel drill with DD openers again and will probably sell my no-till drill, I feel I had just as good of results with the old one

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

That 160 would handle 4 rows.  Planting aint a race. 

If you got some fab skills turning them old drills into a pull type should be fairly simple.  Trick is the hitch needs to be long and heavy, too light and it'll roll back.  If tractor is heavy enough then not an issue until you pull pin with it up and hitch smacks ya in the chin.

ReplyQuote
mcleanfarms
(@mcleanfarms)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just went to a auction and got bunch of old farm equipment  the equipment is a old John Deere 290 two row corn planter, old drag disc, and a old mccormick grain drill 

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

Good luck!  Randy Dowdy tells a story of starting with a JD495? and an old 3020.....neighbors used to mock him and give him hell....guess who's laughing now? haha

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

Well there you go!

First equipment got your first cattle does this officially mean you're in the farming business now?!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

%d bloggers like this: