Notifications
Clear all

7000 Planter rebuild  

RSS

Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
23/01/2020 8:46 am  

Its time to rebuild my 7000 conservation planter. As of now its going to cover 150 acres of corn in 2020. I don't really want to invest too heavily because I don't want to keep it that much longer. Its a 4 row and the combine is 6. It is a good planter however, and depending on finances I could make it work another few years. My only concern is farm growth. I am planning on planting 200 acres of corn for 2021. That would be manageable with the 4 row, but that would be about the max amount of ground id want to cover with it considering the time it would take. so, on to the wear...

The big wear item is the parallel arms. there is a lot of slop in my row units.

Option 1 is new bolts and bushings. Shoup Cost is $25 per row

Option 2 is new arms, frame mounting plates and bushings. Shoup cost is $153 per row but this will not eliminate any row unit frame hole slop. 

Option 3 is Precision Planter Solutions bushing kit at $119 per row. I like the kit on my case planter. down side is it is labor intensive, but its a permanent fix. 

I guess i want to know how i determine if my arms are really shot and if just the busking kit will be satisfactory. 

The second biggest wear is the gauge wheels. I am planning on using the RK Products arm repair. That got me wondering, should i install the gauge wheel equalizer kit while im there? Shoup cost is $36 per row. Is it worth it?

I am going to install new seed tube guards, the current ones are very sloppy, i am going to go with the over sided holes.

Finally the closing wheels and arms. I have the original style and I dont want to upgrade to the new style. But i do need to replace a couple bearings and evaluate how sloppy the wheels are. The studs going into the arm have some wear in them im thinking. I believe the correct gap between closing wheels is 1" to 1-1/2". I also need to verify they are tracking inline. 

My seed disc openers are still good as well as my fertilizer openers. The no-till coulters are getting some wear, but i can still adjust them down and they will be fine. Everything else on the planter looks to be in spec. 

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
23/01/2020 9:16 am  

I saying that you only want to keep it to get through this year might sound crazy but do as little as you have to?.

With an annular cutter you can make parallel arms fairly quickly. And then get the bolts and bushing kit that problems fixed.

Is your grounds that uneven? The Equalizer of the gauge wheels is a very good system has good value but for a 1-year investment I don't know.

Them sockets that the closing wheels go into and the roll pin to hold them in.  if that's what you are talking about being worn out and then the wheel not tracking straight you can get some d o m tubing cut the old ones off weld the new ones on.

The last couple years I pulled the 7000 it was pretty shot. Shanks were bent so the opening disks were at an angle so the gauge wheels couldn't sit nice against them. Lots of slop in the parallel arm area but the meters were good and after emergence you cannot see anything's screaming at you like hey you should have fixed that planter. It made a slot it did a very good job of putting seed down and it closed it. Just kind of limited by for a couple years and it worked.

If you rebuilt the planter like really fix it up great Is there an opportunity of resale in your area? If there's a potential resale then heck yeah fix that sucker up great have a beautiful planter to plant with this year and maybe you liked it enough it runs good enough maybe you get by with it next year but you have something then a value to sell.?

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member
23/01/2020 11:49 am  

Realistically its on the 2 year plan. If you get a min Jon, i just put up a video that shows the bushing wear. My ground isnt really rough, but i noticed the row unit bouncing more than i wanted last year. I was thinking that maybe the equalizer would eliminate some of that. 

My corn didn't look bad at all this year, like you're saying it can be pretty wore and do okay. Thats why im up in the air how much i want to do. 

Ive been watching and ive seen some for sale. A few around the 6,000 range and lots around 4,000. Its not going to be a money maker to completely re-do it, i dont think its going to be worth it for the average buyer. i guess maybe thats my answer. 

i guess i should add it did get new precision meters last year, planted 100 acres. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
26/01/2020 7:27 pm  

I have a bunch of stuff you could have. Just need your mailing address.

Tyler52 liked
ReplyQuote
Share: