Forum

Notifications
Clear all

wrapping dry hay?

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

so the couple of us are going to work together to help each other out on hay production this summer.  we want to wrap dry hay.  but how long does the dry bales need to sit before you can wrap them? is there a chance of white mold or mold in general if they don't get some cure time before wrapping? have to get them wrapped before the next rain or before they start to get wet against the ground.

Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

Let em air out a couple days wont hurt but if it's truly dry 12-13% I'd bet you can wrap 30 mins after it comes out of the baler.

Whats the reason for wrapping dry hay?   There are some damn cheap hoop sheds out there that would be much more convenient.  Neighbor put up a 30x40, cost him $1600. 

ReplyQuote
LVF
 LVF
(@larson-valley-farm)
Estimable Member

Dry hay = black plastic, silage bales = white plastic

Someone told be that the black plastic is cheaper, and I can't remember the reason for black on dry hay

ReplyQuote
James o Brien
(@james-o-brien)
Estimable Member

Dosnt matter about plastic colour you can wrap bales straight out of the baler that's what everyone does here 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

basically for storage.  can ask landlord if he cares if I put up a temporary building.   the wrapped bales with horse people might have advantage of selling stored bales?

also for myself the wrapped bales are so nice to open vs the bales in the weather.

the other guys I don't know if they would want a temp building. several guys have tried them here and everyone of them fell over.

ReplyQuote
LVF
 LVF
(@larson-valley-farm)
Estimable Member

My neighbor across the road had one of those Cover All hop building collapse last year from the snow. If you want a good cover all building you have to get the ones with a webbed truss, and they aren't so cheap. I priced one out for a new cattle barn and I think I could build a post frame shed cheaper

ReplyQuote
TwinStatesAg
(@twinstatesag)

I know farms that wrap all their hay no matter the moisture.  They do it right after bailing and make out fine.

ReplyQuote
Massey 1100
(@massey-1100)
Estimable Member

Wrap dry with black right out of baler they turn out good. White for wet.   Was told if later in fall wrapping wet use green to help with fermentation with the cooler temps.  I don't know if it makes much difference. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Oh great Dan has Colors by the season and James says color doesn't matter.

Beings I accidentally bought a lot of white last year based on some and information of how far a roll goes I will be using white this year. LOL

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

You should find some red and blue too. Then you can make a bale flag for your field day and fly the drone over. 

ReplyQuote
Massey 1100
(@massey-1100)
Estimable Member

I was told that if temps are cold the green helps it ferment faster. I don't know seems to work. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I will have to look into color when I run out of white.

ReplyQuote
Share:

%d bloggers like this: