Forum

Notifications
Clear all

What is the most challenging part of Ag. for you right now?

Page 1 / 2

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

A non farmer yesterday asked me a bunch of great questions and one of them was what is the toughest part for me in farming right now.

For me it would be finding more Acres. I've done a good job of increasing my cash flow per acre but to be a full-time farmer I still need a few more Acres.

How about you guys what's holding you back?

LVF
 LVF
(@larson-valley-farm)
Estimable Member

The hardest part for me is the low prices of everything on top of tying to expand/grow. Retaining a large percentage of your calf crop to build numbers really cuts into the bottom line, but I look at it as an investment into the future, I'm struggling this year, but next year will be better due to more calves being born, and the year after even better!! Land is extremely hard to get around here unless you are a well known farmer who grew up here, and if land comes up for sale, the bankers call their clients before the land ever hits the market. And most landlords are very loyal to their currents tenants as long as the check is good so taking land out from underneath anyone is virtually none existent  

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

Definitely agree on getting land being the hardest part. I have had to fight tooth and nail to get what i have now. I knock on every door that has property, be it 3 acres or 300. I started close to home and work my way farther and farther out. I'm hoping to have around 300 acres this year. Still waiting to hear on a couple fields. The big guys seem to get ground handed to them. A few around me are in way over their head and their fields show it. But they wont give up any ground, and the land lords are for some reason okay with how their fields look. Id be embarrassed to have fields look like some of them.

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

Land yes but if I had more land I'd have more problems too.  A real challenge is finding what people are actually wanting and then getting it to them.  The world doesn't want or need more corn/beans/wheat right now. What happens if no new markets are developed and surplus continues?

Financing seems to be getting tougher when you wana leave the status quo.  Farming has become a stupid viscous circle.

2019 is gona be bold.  If everything comes together we will have created our own markets and will never play "the game" again.  It's the most excited I've been to farm ever.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Roon makes a good point.   lot of us direct sell beef to people.   would be nice someday to basically have a full time butcher on hand and retail store.

being as close to a large population as a lot of us are there has to be some products to sell?  

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

Posted by: maplegrovefarms

being as close to a large population as a lot of us are there has to be some products to sell?  

We are gona attempt to service the big city not far from you.

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

Right now I'm in the process of getting my pork into some local restaurant. That will be a big step in the right direction. My boss at my day job runs 40 cows and finishes steers. He has them but here's locally and his label is applied. His wife goes to Farmers markets all summer and they have a store front at the farm. She makes good money. They have a good nich market. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: Tyler52

Right now I'm in the process of getting my pork into some local restaurant. That will be a big step in the right direction. My boss at my day job runs 40 cows and finishes steers. He has them but here's locally and his label is applied. His wife goes to Farmers markets all summer and they have a store front at the farm. She makes good money. They have a good nich market. 

how are you able to get into a restaurant? I talked to a couple restaurants about beef.  take a couple years to get that going. 

Roon you going to make beef and veggie for little Samalia?!!

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

Little somoli can get my goats.    Grass fed beef, chicken and pork into the resturants.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I want to call general mills, Tyson, land o lakes.... and see what they are looking for in soil health farmers and products.

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

General mills is working on a deal where they pay you a bonus for cover crop, notil, livestock etc etc.

It's kinda funny, they were putting this together when it looked like the carbon tax was gona happen (it was a way for them to defer the tax) but now that its not they're all "soil health rah rah rah". 

I havn't heard if others are putting something together?

ReplyQuote
TwinStatesAg
(@twinstatesag)

Price of milk is biggest challenge in new york.   Lot of farms borrowing money to pay last year's crop Bill's.  Not sure how they are going to plant this spring.  It's not a good situation.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yeah milk isn't looking good. County south of me has 3 dairies left. My county lost 30 this year.

It's not just 1 bad year. You had several bad years with 1 good one in there. Not much equity left to borrow against. 

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

I started with the guy who catered my wedding, he used my pork. I had the pig butchered locally, he picked up the meat at the butcher, did his own smoking and some of his own processing. That is how the rest will be. I drop off the pigs at the local butcher, he pays for the processing and picks up the meat. He has a couple BBQ store fronts along with the catering. For me its no different that selling to Private people.

ReplyQuote
Massey 1100
(@massey-1100)
Estimable Member

Being small like I am trying to grow is a struggle can only do so much with small acres trying to rent ground is a tuff. The land lords seem to be happy with low rent from guys they have rented to for years. Waiting on a few guys to get back with me. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

%d bloggers like this: