Notifications
Clear all

Sugar with your dry starter fertilizer

Rudy
 Rudy
(@rudy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well my brother is trying this for the first time this year. 

He bought some sugar at Sams club, and mixed it with the dry starter.

He is saying that it will help with microbial activity. 

I am interested to see what happens. 

Sugar E-Boost

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

Will be interesting to see some side by side!

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

I am very interested also.

I was doing some reading about this on that other farm forum a while back. The topic was sugar in furrow, in a liquid form. The consensus was it had to be a certain kind of sugar to see a benefit, Dextrose I believe, you couldn't just get a skid from sams club. here are the Becks studies they were talking about.

https://www.beckshybrids.com/pfresearch/Detail/ArtMID/1316/ArticleID/2043/2018-Indiana-Corn-Sugar-Study-Rate-and-Timing-In-Furrow

https://www.beckshybrids.com/pfresearch/Detail/ArtMID/1316/ArticleID/1999/2018-Kentucky-Corn-Sugar-Study-In-Furrow

ReplyQuote
TwinStatesAg
(@twinstatesag)

Ray Rawson use to push the sugar program a lot.  I know a bunch of farms in western new york tried it back probably in the 2003 to 2005 time frame.  They were adding it mainly to starter and some foliar.  Don't think anyone still does it.  Never really saw any visual advantage.   Don't think there was any real data created.

ReplyQuote
LVF
 LVF
(@larson-valley-farm)
Estimable Member

My cousin adds sugar to spray mix. Uses it as a surfactant, and swears by it. Need a good pump on your sprayer to get it mixed good!  

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

I would imagine pretty much every field trial base the results on yield? . But what if a guy did it for a couple years and started to notice a  change in the soil itself?

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

In a liquid system a lot of guys swear by QLF Boost, it's a carbon rich sugar.  Hear 7-8 bu in corn consistently and 30+ if you go insane. 

A friend farms ~10k acres, they use a ton of white sugar. 

ReplyQuote
TwinStatesAg
(@twinstatesag)

These were mostly dairy farms that got manure on almost everything so they may have made the results less impactful.  I think manure adds a lot more to soil other than just nutrients.

ReplyQuote
Share:

%d bloggers like this: