replace alfalfa with?

7 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

I love alfalfa!  if a field freezes out you have N credits for corn. its a great plant for soil health,  great quality and tonnage for feed.  BUT thinking of replacing it with seasonal grasses.

I will seed a field down for myself and a land lord.  but in the future was thinking of rye grass or some seasonal forage mixes. 

anyone have good luck with alternatives?

Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

We plant several mixes, we do all dry hay. 

I have a field that is a 50/50 orchard grass and timothy mix. Its fast growing, and drys down fast. It can be mowed and baled in 2 days if the weather cooperates. I usually sell most of this, the local horse lady loves it. 

We have a field that is 50/50 Orchard grass and clover. The clover takes a little longer to dry than the timothy, but puts out a little more hay. 

We also have a orchard grass/ timothy/ clover/ alfalfa mix. It is 1/3 orchard grass, 1/3 clover, 1/6 timothy and 1/6 alfalfa. The large mix makes good feed, but is the slowest drying. 

A friend of mine has some bromegrass hay he likes, but we have never tried it, so i cant say first hand. 

Forgot to add, the neighbor has a nice Deere silage special baler with knives. They make a ton of rye baleage for their steers. They do some wheat too. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

hmm interesting.

ReplyQuote
James o Brien
(@james-o-brien)
Estimable Member

Found this on YouTube today also a good use for kura clover if you ever wanted to use it in rotation with corn https://youtu.be/U0tp4G9qisE

LVF reacted
ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

I am going to try to get some Kura clover seeded somehow.  after the video I made last summer of it I am excited.  

how I plan to run Kura is once its established strip till corn into it. then the next year have the clover for hay. alternate back and forth.  free corn every other year.

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

I'd watch that.

1. Gotta sell a kidney to buy the kura then pray like crazy that it establishes!

2. How does the clover feed the corn when the strip unit kills the mycoryzal/rycrobial fungi that transfers the nutrients between plants?

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

I don't know but in my video last year touring the university they have been doing it for many years!

There is one guy from the extension office he's the only private person that I know that has seeded it down. I'm going to ask the university guys that I spoke with for some help on making sure I maybe get it to establish

ReplyQuote
Share:

%d bloggers like this: