Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Poor mans Y drops

Jayson1550
(@jayson1550)
Topic starter  

Hi all, new member. first post. 

We have historically top dressed urea on our corn. but this year i want to build some poor mans y drops and put 28 next to the row. any input on that subject would be appreciated.

also, i noticed in one of Jon's videos from a few years ago, that he blended water with the 28 to help it soak in. do you think that helps? I'm not afraid to fill a little more often if the N is going to be more safe. 

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

i use ats not water, ats somehow is a good basic stabilizer but you can add more stabilizers if need be. 

i dont know what advice to give other then get it done! get the orifice and quarter turn caps with hose nozzle. 

if i had time i would build a drop tube on 30 inch spacing to guide the hoses down and build a Y support to point the hoses to the row.   someday...

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

My sprayer is on 15" nozzle spacing. last year i plugged every other row and ran a drop hose down the center. It worked, but this year im going to change it up. im going to plug 2 and leave 2 open. i am going to make a y drop out of pvc and run the 2 hoses together inside the pipe hanging on a light chain so it can flex if need be. im going to put a 45 at the bottom and shoot the hose towards each row. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-3-4-in-x-3-4-in-x-3-4-in-x-3-4-in-dia-Side-Outlet-Elbow-PVC-Fitting/3344664

i agree with Jon, the 1/4 turn with the hose barbs are the cats pajamas. Shoups sale is still on till Sunday i think?

https://www.shoupparts.com/502708-Hose-Shank-with-Quick-TeeJet-Cap

ReplyQuote
Jayson1550
(@jayson1550)
Topic starter  

I'm thinking the same thing. First I was thinking metal conduit, but now I'm thinking PVC. Still trying to figure out the best boom mounting system. Maybe interlocking hose clamps. One around boom and one around the pipe, through eachother.

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

I was thinking about drilling a 1/8 hole straight through the side of the pvc pipe at the top. Then I was thinking of using 12 gauge galvanized wire (0.106" diameter) to make a handle of sorts. I was thinking about using a U-bolt and a backer plate on the boom, connecting the pipe and u-bolt with some #2 chain. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

good ideas.  

i need to make something this year. i want to figure out a side dress program for beans.

ReplyQuote
Jayson1550
(@jayson1550)
Topic starter  

@maplegrovefarms that's my next thing too. I want to try some kind of liquid k on soybeans, in season. 

ReplyQuote
Share: