Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Ferterlizer stabilizer products!

Ted Kahler
(@ted-kahler)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

With side dressing comming up I thought I would try to discus with you guys what has your experiance been with stabilizers.  There is a good chance  I will be using urea or 32 percent.  

Most of the stabilizers talk about volitization what is the thoughts about the ability of the stabilizer make the nitrogen not leach? 

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

Isn't Instinct for leaching and factor for volatilization?ATS has some ability for  stabilizing.

Last year I put Instinct and Factor on the 28% and there were spots that were under water for a quite a while as the water went away the corn actually greened up! That has to be a testament to them products?!

For surface banding as wet as we are right now with more rain coming I think some soils might see the leaching?

Yep depending on what a guy buys you can spend an easy two to four bushels on product to make sure your nitrogen is there the best you can.

A year like this is also a testament to several passes but for a lot of us that's not going to happen. We can get in the field today we don't know if we can get in the field in a couple weeks for another pass.

ReplyQuote
Ted Kahler
(@ted-kahler)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have no real info on this.... would really like others to chime in

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

at one of Dr Franzen presentations he spoke about how ats is a fantastic stable form of N but its not labeled as a stabilizer.  

looking at the weather pattern of the year, if I was you I would use ats for a good part of your N credits, I would spend the 12 dollars on factor and instinct.   

the only reason I wouldn't use much treatment is if you know for sure that you can make several trips in the season. 

here is a good read from him, its only 12 pages!

https://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/soils/pdfs/Nitrogen_Extenders_and_Additive_for_Field_Crops_2017.pdf

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

I asked a couple scientists type folks to chime in but they said for the most part I covered it. You have stabilizers for leaching and some that are better for volatilization and you just pick which ones the scenario that you're in.

Under Franzen paperwork there you can get into the scientific side of it on how they actually work

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

Jon is right, Instinct is for leaching, but I use Agrotain for volatilization. The co-op I had side dress my corn this year only uses Instinct. They came out and spread urea Friday and we got 1/4" of rain Saturday. Then we got an inch on Sunday. The N *should* still be there. Ill let you know if the corn doesnt green up.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

In field observations last year 28% treated for both ways the corn did not respond very quickly. It took a couple weeks before you saw any Greening up but come fall time it was as green as grass right to the ground when Frost came.

This year I just used Amthio and 28% no stabilizers. Corn greened up immediately. Now hoping that the turkey litter manure will carry it into Harvest.

ReplyQuote
Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

the stabilized urea i had put on took about a week to green the corn up. its still green and looking good, except where they forgot to put it on. The end rows on both ends of the field are green and there are 24 rows up the side that are yellow.

d

ReplyQuote
jimm
 jimm
(@jimm)

@tyler52

Too bad you didn't have some untreated urea to compare with the ESN.

ReplyQuote
Share:

%d bloggers like this: