Yield is vanity pro...

Notifications
Clear all

Yield is vanity profit is sanity

James o Brien
(@james-o-brien)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I know this is advise for dairy farmers but you can still get the principles that it about low cost of production and not yield that drive profits 

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

I love the title!

That is why I'm so big on Farmers need to be doing their own testing. Whether it's fertilizer or seed.

Guys need to do a few strips every year to help find the better return-on-investment spot.

Even with animals you're still growing a crop to feed them.  Is 4 tons per acre a good return on investment or for a tiny bit more money can you get 5 ton per acre? And then when you go to six tons per acre is that now starting to cost money?

It really confuses some people that I use such low yield production numbers for my budgets. Historically speaking in our area 40 bushel soybeans is a number that you could take to the bank. There are years that we averaged less than 40 but for the most part 40 is a 95% safe number. And yes there are years that we can do better than 40. I would rather budget at 40 and get 60 then vice versa.

ReplyQuote
James o Brien
(@james-o-brien)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well grass is way cheaper than silage or concentrates so the more grazed grass we can get into our cows the better. Obviously the more grass we can grow per acre the more cows we can run on our farm so we make more per acre. We always compare production per hectare and not per cow because high yielding cows don't last long are too heavy and will compact to soil and are not able to walk long distances to the parlour each day. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

wonder how the industry would change if instead of having top yield producers try to grow 500 bushel corn you had top Revenue producers in every magazine?!

ReplyQuote
Share:

%d bloggers like this: