Forum

the best way to lay...

the best way to lay out all the building for the the farm yard  

RSS

mcleanfarms
(@mcleanfarms)
Eminent Member
10/03/2019 3:46 pm  

im looking at a bunch of older dairy farms that are for sale and debating the best way to lay the farms out for more efficiency plus I was wondering about converting  tie stall to free stall

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
10/03/2019 5:08 pm  

how do you want the cattle flow to be vs how are they setup?  some barns here that got converted to parlor put the parlor at an end, use the length as the staging area.

others come in on the side, the other end of the barn is used as maternity/sick bay.

others built the parlor on the side of the old barn then the old barn became sick/maternity area and also calf area.

ReplyQuote
mcleanfarms
(@mcleanfarms)
Eminent Member
10/03/2019 5:27 pm  

I want the cattle flow to be so that they come in to the barn from the main pasture at night and then after night milking then go into a night pasture close to the barn but the old set up are so the cows are in the barn over night.

and it I couldn't convert tie up to free stall I was going to make it like the parlor my grandfather had where the cows were in a tie stall barn and the the cows come in from the side  

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
11/03/2019 7:26 am  

100% if starting from scratch I would not use a tie stall. free stall  or loafing shed with feeding lane. I liked the local loafing sheds that you had  a similar building but lot less concrete and steel. meaning a lot less money,  the whole loafing area was a thick sand base that got bedding on it.  we are 6 months of no pasture.  so the loafing shed was also the manure pack for the winter. we have 6 months of no pasture.

but you have to work within your budget and start somewhere.

ReplyQuote
mcleanfarms
(@mcleanfarms)
Eminent Member
11/03/2019 10:30 am  

with my budget i'm probably milking in a tie stall in till  i'm happy with the bank account 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
11/03/2019 5:46 pm  

there you go.  I would rather milk in a tie stall with very little debt vs a lot of debt in a parlor.

I would also be looking at smaller breeds like Jerseys.

ReplyQuote
mcleanfarms
(@mcleanfarms)
Eminent Member
12/03/2019 7:21 am  

I was think jerseys I also want to find some ofter breeds that are small like jerseys

ReplyQuote
Share: