Forum

Renting dairy farms

Notifications
Clear all

Renting dairy farms

RyanMcLeanfarms
(@ryanmcleanfarms)
Topic starter  

I started my dairy journey doing a rent to own deal then it end up not working out so I was going to rent a bigger and better farm but I couldn’t come up with a agreement because the guy wanted full control over my animal that I bought and paid for and told me a I don’t know how to farm because I was trying to no till and rotationally graze so I gave up on renting and sold my cow to a friend of mine and semi farm with him he is know milking his herd and my herd but I still want to go off on my own and just hit the restart button what everyone else opinion on renting and my restart and build up from scratch 

This topic was modified 1 year ago by RyanMcLeanfarms

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

If you are going to be renting or working with another farmer you are going to have to bite your tongue and be patient. The first old guy does he have kids that will be inheriting the farm? At some point things will need to be in writing to protect you. 

After a couple years of working under a guy you should figure out an exit plan for them and a plan in for you that protects you in case they die or decide to sell out.

After some time you should be able to start to show them what you want to do. 

Not going to be easy. 

Or find a few acres around a house and start a herd from scratch. 

ReplyQuote
RyanMcLeanfarms
(@ryanmcleanfarms)
Topic starter  

The first farm I was at the agreement was working fine in till his kid decided to farm and the guy ask me an d I told him I was looking at a bigger place so that was me needing to leave and go bigger but the second place I just he just couldn’t work with me on anytime I asked him or said I could do

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

Its tough.

ReplyQuote
Share: