Mac Don getting int...

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Don getting into corn heads.

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

pretty cool! they make great grain platforms so only fitting to get into corn heads.

Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

Looks like every other chopping head made....yawn.  Guess I dont get excited cause that head will cost more than all my equipment combined!   From a soil health standpoint that head goes against everything I wana accomplish so if they gave me one id scrap it haha

ReplyQuote
James o Brien
(@james-o-brien)
Estimable Member

What corn head would suit you system and soil health practices

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

It would be interesting to see how much lighter it is compared to the factory heads.

My new corn head looks like my old corn head. Except for some reason the new corn head has tremendously less trash intake than the old corn head. And because of a little bit of change in the deck plates it has a lot less loss.

I personally wouldn't spend a premium for a chopping head but I could see advantages to having it. In a no-till situation the chopped residue would be a lot easier to move out of the way.

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

Just the plain ol 643 jd head since I got a jd combine.  I want the stalk long and tall.  More trash standing so that it doesn't block any sunlight to covers and it catches as much snow as possible.  Chopping heads make the field look "clean" with short even stubble but when the SD wind blows your field ends up in the fence row...here that can be miles at times.  The more mat on the ground is more to cut thro too since we don't want to move it.

We're gona do a test run with the platform next year for comparison.  If it'll leave the stalk tall but grind up the top half of plant by going thro combine i can live with that.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

love combining beans behind the old 843 corn head.  the standing stalks go through the combine like a dream and out the back is just beautiful worm food!!  It seems when the beans are small and tough feeding the corn trash helps feeding.

ReplyQuote
Share:

%d bloggers like this: