If you had to fence...

Notifications
Clear all

If you had to fence in an 80-acre

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

This would be a long-term permanent fence. For your lines running up would you use the 3 by 7 wood post or a good steel T post?

I am leaning to T post because they're less money I can just drive along with the pickup and the T post and post driver and install them very quickly.

Was thinking a couple strands of barbed wire and a couple strands of hot wire

Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

T posts should last you a long time. They would definitely be faster and cheaper. You could fence it twice with T posts for what wood will cost you and it still wouldn't take as long as once with wood. 

We have a few t posts in spots, they have been there for 50 years and are still fine. New steel isn't as good anymore, but even if it last you 30 or 40 years you'd still be farther ahead to use t posts. Thats potentially 80 years for less money and time. 

That being said, most of our fence posts are locus and were installed by my great grandparents. They're still in good shape. 

My soon to be father in law fenced in a few acres for a beef or two behind his house. He is friends with a lineman who got him several truck loads of old phone/ electric poles for free. We cut them down and planted them as fence posts. I would recommend that for corner posts. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

yep corners would be built traditionally with big wood posts. 

yeah thats what i was thinking but you never know.  maybe someone would come up with a great reason to use wood.   

ReplyQuote
Massey 1100
(@massey-1100)
Estimable Member

good wood corner with t post on straight runs.  Your flat ground it should work good  my dips and hills dont always work so well but I will use them.

ReplyQuote
Oklahoma.Applicator
(@ok-applicator)

Steel t post would be my choice. Easy installation, easy repair if one is damaged. If you want to make it a little stronger what we do is every 5th t post we set a line post (4.5'x6.5') then 5 more t post and so on, I've seen some guys do every 10 post then a wood post, it's whatever you choose. It helps us here in the sandhills of Oklahoma, and also since we are more prone to get ice storms more than snow storms here I have seen half mile long runs of 5 wire permanent fence fall over from ice load. But the fence across the road with wood post every 5th post was still standing strong.

Tyler52 liked
ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

good idea Oklahoma applicator!  yeah we get snow and some ice. some of it would be up to a half mile long with a hill in the middle.  

ReplyQuote
Share:

%d bloggers like this: