Forum

Cover crops under c...

Cover crops under corn pasture  

RSS

AdamL16
(@adaml16)
13/05/2019 2:35 pm  

Hey fellas, ive got some questions regarding pasturing steers on cover crops and corn stover once the corn is combined. We are planting about 50 acres of corn this year and ive been crunching some numbers to figure out if its economical to buy some steers to use up the feed that's going to be available in corn stover and cover crops. Im thinking about seeding a cover crop mixture of about 15lb of oats 5lb of radish 5lb of turnip and 5 lb of either red clover or hairy vetch to the acre under the corn. So what im trying to figure out is if I get a good stand of covers how much feed can I expect per acre in conjunction with the corn stover. Im figuring we will have about 4 weeks possibly up to 6 depending on weather that will be available for grazing after the corn is combined. Im looking for some input on how many steers (looking to get some in the 400-600lb range) it would take to eat up that 50 acres in the 4 week time period. Looking forward to everyone's responses!

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
15/05/2019 5:46 am  

Kind of a hard one to answer. If it was cows I bet you could find some guys that can say you had this many animals so each acre gave this many days of feed.

With steers I guess I would let them graze but I would also still bring them their daily feed.

I personally wouldn't allow the corn stalks and covers to be the whole diet for the steers.

then it depends on how much growth of the covers did you get. 

ReplyQuote
AdamL16
(@adaml16)
16/05/2019 2:29 pm  

Good points Jon, I did some inter seeding last year and it went fairly well. This year I am going to seed a little earlier to try and get a better stand. We are going to have other pasture mixes and dry available as feed also. Im just wondering if I should be looking to get 10 steers or 30 steers. I want to see the corn field and cover crops eaten up well before it all gets covered in snow. Feed before combining and after the field is eaten off is not a big issue.

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
17/05/2019 8:12 am  

I personally would put a group on there to eat it up fast before snow.

Then I would feed them out there over winter to keep spreading fertilizer for the next corn crop?!

ReplyQuote
AdamL16
(@adaml16)
18/05/2019 7:35 pm  

That's kind of along the line of what I was thinking. I guess ill just see how any I can get my hands on at the time and go from there. Thanks for your input Jon!

ReplyQuote
Share: