butcher your own st...

Notifications
Clear all

butcher your own steers/retail store  

maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

figuring out now so in a couple years i can build it. i am thinking of building a butcher shop and retail store at the farm for beef and produce.

but thinking about all the deer hunters that can butcher there own deer.  why not have a butcher your own steer market.  say like $2.5 a lb hanging is the price and they do their own butchering. that saves them what $500-$700 dollars at todays rate. not a bad wage for a couple buddies to cut a beef.

Tyler52
(@tyler52)
Reputable Member

a guy i work with looked into setting up his own butcher shop for his beef. He said the insurance company mandated a $3,000,000 policy in order to even consider working with them, not including any extras. They currently have their beef processed at a local butcher who applies their labels. they operate a store front at the farm and do quite well from what i understand. Something like 25 steers a year plus chicken and pork as well as other local odds and ends. 

I like the butcher it yourself idea. 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

yeah who knows by the time you try to comply with insurance, regulations maybe it cant be done anymore?  

with the number of animals around here i bet if i could come up with 2-3 full time professional butchers i would be doing lots of custom meat as well?

This post was modified 20 mins ago by maplegrovefarms

ReplyQuote
Share: