beef breed go for s...

Notifications
Clear all

beef breed go for small and low quality feed in wood pasture

mcleanfarms
(@mcleanfarms)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

looking to raise some beef feeders to sale in in September before I go to college 

James o Brien
(@james-o-brien)
Estimable Member

Greg judy runs south poll and is really happy with them 

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

You would think selling the feeders off would be pretty easy because mama raised them up till that point.

Pretty impressive how poor quality beef breeds can live on.

Around here Angus is King but I was told herefords and or black baldies are more efficient then the pure Angus.

You don't want to get too weird from your local area otherwise no one will buy the feeders.

ReplyQuote
mcleanfarms
(@mcleanfarms)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

what is the general rule of thump of how many cows to the acre

ReplyQuote
Roon
 Roon
(@roon)
Estimable Member

Need more details.   Is your grass mostly smooth brome?  Gona mob graze? Rotational? Set em and forget em?

Pounds per acre will vary greatly depending on those things.  Definitely stick to generic calves that everyone wants.

ReplyQuote
mcleanfarms
(@mcleanfarms)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

set em and forget em grazing

ReplyQuote
maplegrovefarms
(@maplegrovefarms)
Member Admin

locally that would be 3 acres per head here with bales being hauled out in august because old grass would be burnt up.

ReplyQuote
LVF
 LVF
(@larson-valley-farm)
Estimable Member

Depends on a few things. Age/size of the animal, wooded- what % is canopy and open, how thick is the grass, what kinds of grass, any management like rotational grazing, soil type, is it hilly or flat, shale, sand or clay? I am with Jon, I'd say about 3 acres per head until you have a better idea on grass production. Contact you local NRCS and get a grazing stick, you can use that to measure available forage while its standing and then adjust stocking rate accordingly. You can also use that stick to keep a record of your seasons grass production, a couple years worth of records would help you out a lot, and if you are improving wooded pastures like I am, that grazing stick is a good way to measure the progress from year to year

ReplyQuote
Share:

%d bloggers like this: